- Alexandria, VA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- Our house is one of many row houses in our neighborhood built for rail workers in the 1950s. It was built as a utilitarian space without much in the way of character or period details, so it has been mostly a blank slate for us to make our own. Despite the many updates still needed, we love that we have managed to create a light and airy space on a budget with our decor and furniture choices while we save up for some updates and renovations.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. White walls (or at least a similar color palette on all walls). It helps to make a few small rooms all feel like one larger space.
2. Keep only what you really love. When storage is limited it’s much easier to let go of unused items and be very conscious of what you bring home.
3. Think creatively and be flexible. With four people in a two bedroom home, we’ve had to rearrange a few times as our needs have changed. Recent improvements include making a bedroom nook into an office space and turning the 11 inch deep space next to the front door into a ‘mudroom’.