We've been talking this week about small space solutions and rethinking the use of space. On Monday, we posted tips to handle small space cabin fever and one of the ideas was to rearrange your floor plan when you feel like your space is closing in a bit. Since the holidays are coming and entertaining friends and family is upon us, now is
the time to look over our homes and do a little redesign. We are thinking - weekend afternoon project! Set some time this weekend and rearrange your small space. While it may seem like work (ok, it is work), it's actually both an emotionally uplifting and satisfying project. Here are a few things to do to prepare for your new layout.
1) Make two floor plans for reference. One of your current space and one of what your rearranged space will look like. These are your guides to moving around your furniture. For tips on making a floor plan, follow this post from Apartment Therapy. Floor plans aren't as hard as you may think and there are different levels of floor plan style so don't fret.
2) Clean your space before you clean out your space. Take some time and clean the room you are rearranging, including the actual furniture and decor.
3) Clear out all of your things (yep, everything) and start with a blank canvas. This will really help get a new perspective on your newly arranged room as you use your floor plan to place things back.
4) Edit as you go. You'll probably find that as you place your things back in the room, you'll start wondering if you need this or that. If you're questioning it, get rid of it. You can always put it back in later but, for now, lose it.
5) Invite close friends over that afternoon or early evening for a little soiree and put the new space in action. See how they feel in the space. Is it working? Does the new layout accommodate the room? Does the room feel to scale and spacious? All of these thoughts can be answered from fresh eyes and honest opinions from a good confidantes.
Here's a wrap up of this week's thoughts on rethinking your small space on Apartment Therapy:
- Tips For Handling Small Space Cabin Fever
- Make A Furnished Sublet Feel Like Home
- Rethinking The Use Of Your Space
- Best Tip For Dealing With An Oddly Placed Window