Tomorrow is April 1st. It's the day we all watch our backs for merry pranksters around the office, the neighborhood and even inside our own apartments (A sleeping roommate is the most unsuspecting victim). In an effort to keep the spirit of April Fool's Day alive, here are 15 tech-centric pranks.
A great prank needs three things: A smart joker to set the trap, an unsuspecting victim to fall into it and a prank that hits hard at something the victim loves (It's the difference between the snake-in-a-jar and the toothpaste-on-the-sleeping-hand—people love their sleep).
Well we'll give you (the now-educated prankster) some ideas at messing with your target's TV, computer or phone (stuff they love). All that's left for you to do is find a victim.
- Sneak over and right-click on a buddy's icon for a commonly used program like Firefox. Edit the properties and change the target to: %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00. Every time your former friend tries to start up the browser, his machine will restart.
- Create a funny/embarassing message in a text editor (depending on how mean you're feeling) and move it to the startup folder. When they log in the next morning, they'll get the message loud and clear.
- The Think Geek Annoy-A-Tron was built for April Fool's Day. It sounds off a short, but very annoying, beep every few minutes. Your target will have a hard time finding the sound because the beeps vary in intervals from 2 to 8 minutes.
- Print 100 sheets of paper with an 8-point, 25 percent gray line of text in the bottom corner (be as creative as you feel is appropriate—we won't tell). Take those sheets and stick them right back in the printer for others to make their copies.
- Just like the "extra mouse" gag, stealing a friend's cell phone to broadcast a hack text message is as old as the hills. But for a new twist, instead of "My penis is small!!!!1!!1!" text that gives away the prank, try something more believable like "I had a dream last night that we had a fight. Are we OK?" Your target is guaranteed to receive replies all day.
It's not April Fool's Day, it's April Fool's however-long-until-the-Dancing-With-The-Stars-Finale.