The Archipod—branded as "garden architecture"—can be used as an office, playroom, hobby room, studio, or even tree house. The prefabricated building is built to be efficient and made from green materials, including FSC timber and recycled glass.
Originally positioned as a Garden Office, the Archipod (pronounced 'ark-ee-pod' for 'architecture') aims to make it easy, accessible, and efficient to add a garden building of any type to your yard. Measuring only 3 meters (9.8 ft) in diameter, the sphere has a minimal footprint and uses only the best of green materials.
The insulated sphere is constructed mainly from FSC-certified wood and comes fully put together. Simply add electricity (and perhaps landline) and you have a ready-to-go office.
Environment Points (via the website) as follows:
- The 'Pod' is predominantly made from timber, which is the world's most replenishable construction material. All the timber comes from either FSC-registered suppliers or is reused from surplus manufacturing.
- The design and size is optimized to minimize wastage in production.
- Heating is by way of an electric panel radiator, which is the most efficient way to heat a small, independent and highly insulated space such as a garden office. One advantage of working in a separate garden office is that it may be unnecessary to heat the main house during the day. They're currently reviewing using air source heat pumps for heating and cooling.
- Heat loss is minimized by the use of high standards of insulation and air tightness.
- The rooflight gives a high level of illumination during the day, so there is little need to resort to artificial lighting in use.
- Fibreglass insulation is made from recycled glass.
- They are currently developing alternative claddings that can use recycled or reused materials.