Art Nouveau Style (When You Can’t Afford the Real Thing)
Sometimes I torture myself by doing a search for Art Nouveau furnishings on 1stDibs. I covet the impossibly beautiful lamps, mirrors, plates and furniture — all impossibly priced. You won’t impress your purist collector friends (and some of these pieces are very loose interpretations of the style!), but these pieces can give your room a bit of Art Nouveau-esque whimsy and fun.
With its sinewy lines, flower and plant motifs, and ethereal curves, Art Nouveau decor is almost fantastical in its beauty. I especially love the idea of pairing Art Nouveau pieces against the stark sleekness of mid-century modern furniture. But the sad fact is that I cannot afford the real thing. Luckily there are some fun reproductions out there and inexpensive accessories designed in the Art Nouveau style. (If you want a concise but thorough education on Art Nouveau, it is worth checking out A Quick History of Art Nouveau.)
1. Reproduction Art Nouveau table lamp in the Handel, Tiffany style with art glass shades, eBay. Bronze Maison Design Art Nouveau Style votive candle holderAmazon, $24.99. Art Nouveau calla lily mirror in cold cast resin. Amazon, $49.95
2. Hickory Hardware Art Nouveau 3-3/8 in. Satin Pewter Hook, Home Depot, $6.37.
3. Brass table mirror, Vintage Blue Smiles on Etsy, $149.
4. Pillow from Couple Home on Etsy, $13.50.
5. Cicada jewelry box from eMuseum Store, $15.
6. Klimt mother and child teapot from eMuseum Store, $34.95.
7. 1920s Art Nouveau bookends from Mom’s Vintage TReasures on Etsy, $188.
8. Perhaps the ultimate in reproduction Art Nouveau style loving: A newly designed Art Nouveau style house near Moscow. Lux Interior Designs.
9. The Plate Lady, $25.95.
10. Wall mirror at Mandarava, $69.34.
Images: As credited above.