Name: Noah (9 months)
Location: Québec, Canada
I wanted to create a calm, serene nursery, while still having a colorful area for my baby to play. I also wanted to have a nice flow to the decorations, while avoiding a strict theme so we would be free to change and adapt Noah's room as he grows. I decided to go with a basic palette of blue, grey, and yellow, and added in a few green accents for variety.
Both of our families live far away and so while we live in a small two-bedroom apartment, having an extra bed available was essential for visiting family and friends. This meant that we didn't have room for a glider or rocking chair, but it has been working out very nicely. Having a sofa in the nursery instead means that we can all sit together as a family for story time (even the dog!). It was a challenge to find the right combination of furniture to fit in this small room, but we're so happy with the result!
Apartment Therapy has been my major inspiration for creating a fun, beautiful and yet practical space as we welcomed the newest addition to our family!
- My husband refinished the second-hand dresser to double as a change table and storage for baby essentials. We decided to keep the retro look and just give it a fresh coat of paint!
- The small, narrow grey shelf in between the sofa and crib is a repurposed night stand! My husband sawed off the front third of the nightstand, removed the drawer, added a few nails et voilà! We then painted it to match the dresser. This gave us a small table to set toys or a bottle, and it is fixed to the wall. We are able to shift the sofa just slightly to unfold it, and the shelf doesn't get in the way.
- The mobile was my special craft project before Noah's arrival. I found inspiration online, and then sewed it all by hand.
- The string of lights we originally saw in Paris when we were visiting my husband's family a few years ago. They are made by la case de cousin paul. We purchased them locally here in Québec City at Zone Maison.
- The other large furniture is from IKEA. Our crib is Hensvik, and the sofa bed is KARLABY/KILLEBERG (which is amazingly comfortable). And of course we found a spot for the practical and fun Räskog utility cart.