Name: Erin & Ken
Type of Project: Backyard Redesign
Location:Upper Tangletown — Minneapolis, Minnesota
Type of building: 1930s Tudor-Style Duplex
The Renovation Diaries are a collaboration with our community in which we feature your step-by-step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.
Ken and I will perform all labor (DIY) for our backyard redesign with the exception of the electric work needed to provide power to the exterior backdoor light. We'll contract with an electrician for this portion.
- Electrician: $400
- Gas Grill: $500
- Exterior Backdoor Light: $325
- Semi Raised Gardens: $400
- Storm/Screen Door: $300
- Garage Man Door + Hardware: $300
- A/C Fencing: $150
- Stoop Surround Materials: $100
- Patio Pavers:$1550
- Paint: $80
- Patio Furniture (Table, Chairs, Cushions, Umbrella): $800
- Trellis: $100
- Pots & Plantings: $600
- Sod: $75
TOTAL BUDGET: $5,880.00
Project Schedule:We plan for the project to last about seven weeks from start to finish.
- Week 1: Demo existing patio and sidewalk. Stake out and dig for new patio/sidewalk layout.
- Week 2: Install patio/sidewalk pavers.
- Week 3: Build semi-raised planter beds, install and paint new garage man door, paint existing back door and trim.
- Week 4: Fill planter beds with soil and plant vegetable garden. Begin planting along perimeter of the yard.
- Week 5. Finish perimeter plantings, build stoop surround.
- Week 6. Build A/C fencing, lay stepping stones on side of house.
- Week 7. Install trellis and screen door, patio furniture, string cafe lights, plant potted plants.