Well-curated style means nothing without tailoring and polish. Think about a great outfit paired with just-rolled-out-of-bed (in a bad way) hair. Your bedroom is the same. You may think you need a new headboard or a fresh coat of paint on the walls, but the first thing you should do is clean.
Really: Give your bedroom a deep, intentional cleaning and see if you don't feel a little better about the way your boudoir looks and feels. Let's get going. (With some Friday flowers first, of course!)
This Weekend's Assignment:
First, treat yourself to flowers or a plant or something to give your space some extra life.
Then, give your bedroom a good, deep clean.
This should be a very thorough job. The aim is to rid the room of as much dust and as many potential allergens as possible. Here is a sample guideline deep clean plan that you can use as a checklist:
- Pick up and put away all clothes, books and belongings
- Declutter surfaces (remove change, jewelry, etc and put in proper places)
- Strip the bed
- Launder all bedding, including mattress and pillow covers
- Flip and/or rotate the mattress
- Vacuum curtains with brush attachment and/or clean blinds
- Clean windows and mirrors
- Dust all surfaces and wipe down light switches, fixtures and ceiling fan
- Push aside the bed, side tables and dressers and vacuum/clean under them
- Remake the bed
- Enjoy a sound sleep in your freshly cleaned room!
Because it's a private space, the bedroom gets the short stick when it comes to tidying up for guests (which is my number one motivation to clean, to be honest). But it's so important to give this secluded space its due. In the Eight Step Home Cure, Maxwell reminds us that the bedroom just might be the most important room in our homes. "It is where you will spend the greatest amount of time when at home and where your health will be most directly affected if you don't sleep well," he writes.
Come back this weekend, whenever you finish with the bedroom, and let us know how it went. Your individual accomplishments help keep us all going!