Design Duo Todd Nickey and Amy Kehoe are behind this month's Domino feature on Mark and Sunrise Ruffalo's LA home and were Domino's top pick for designers to watch in 2008. Their brand of warm minimalism with a bit of Parisian flea market bohemian thrown in is practical, down to earth and makes us jealous. So we were really excited to have them share their tips for what makes a great bedroom, well, great.
• Keep it clean & simple. The bedroom is for sleeping and having lots of clutter becomes disturbing awake and asleep. Get rid of any clutter and non-essential items by stashing them away and out of sight.
• Stay Warm. Having nice bedding can make all the difference in the way you sleep. 100% cotton or Linen sheets are essential. A nice 100% down duvet with a pretty duvet cover is an enticing way to get one into bed, Add cotton blanket for those cold winter nights. www.nickeykehoe.com for great Matteo bedding and linens
• Good pillows. Are you sleeping on pillows that are 5 years old? Replace them and see how much better you sleep tonight.
• Pictures of friends & family. Having photos of loved ones around are a great addition to the décor of the room as well as reminding you how lucky you are each and every night.
• Soothing color. The bedroom should be a soothing place. Painting your room a mellow, light color will make you feel instantly relaxed when you walk in the room
• Remove the TV. Studies show that people who have a TV the bedroom can have a more restless nights sleep.
• Lighting. Remove any overhead lights and use ambient table lamps to give the room more a more relaxing, warm feeling.
• Window coverings. Adding some type of blackout shades or heavy drapery to the windows will promote a better night's sleep.
• A new mattress. Nothing can change the quality of your sleep like a new mattress. Ditch that old, lumpy mattress for a new (preferably no foam) mattress. Try McRoskey.
• A nice headboard. An upholstered headboard is a good way to create a focal point to your room.
Thanks Todd and Amy!