With the rise of open floor plans, bar stools have taken a more prominent position in the home. Dining tables seem to be going the way of the Dodo in favor of breakfast bars and dining counters. Here's our look at the best bar and counter stools – both with and without backs – on the market today.
Backless Bar Stools
• Rig Adjustable Bar Stool from CB2 – Adjustable seat, industrial edge, warm wood and a shock of red. This stool ranks up there as a new favorite. $159
• Gavilin Barsool from KGB Limited Fascinating shape, bordering on so-ugly-it's-cute. One of Maxwell's Daily Finds. Definitely on the high end. $3,000
• Industrial Stool from West Elm This take on the classic swiveling bar stool would be perfect in a modern industrial kitchen. $179
• Cala Adjustable Bar Stool from Pottery Barn A mix of classic adjustable seat with architectural wire base. Available in 3 colors – black, white and red. $149
• Garden Backless Bar Stool from Home Decorators Basic metal stool given a modern touch with a fresh color. Also available in white, aluminum and red. $139
• Dalfred Bar Stool from Ikea A more basic (and affordable!) take on the CB2-style stool. Could be customized with a few coats of paint. $39.99
Bar Stools with Backs
• Thonet Barstool from DWR The seating staple of cafes everywhere, this taller version looks great in living color. For a more timeless look it's also available in white and black. $210
• Aluminum Dining Stool from Target Durable and practical, this budget option can be customized with a colorful cushion. $69.99
• Arrowback Bar Stool from Bellacor While the arrowback shape can seem old fashioned, it's also a comfortable design. The full back rest offers support for longer periods of sitting. $173.95
• Bertoia Counter Stool from DWR This iconic design is equally at home in vintage or modern interiors. The real deal is an investment piece but knock-offs abound for smaller budgets. $959
• Series 7 Stool from Hive Modern Designed by Arne Jacobsen, this is a classic style that has a lot of imitators. $878
• Lilly Pulitzer Yellow Barstool from Horchow Hello yellow! Already smitten with the color so the Chinoiserie shape is a bonus. $619
Beautiful to look at from pretty much any direction.
A timeless classic that will look great in pretty much any interior.
Incredibly elegant but also still somehow reminiscent of Tinkertoys. Also available in a counter height stool.
Unexpected elegance in powder coated steel... plus it comes in bright colors!
Also available in black.
The ultimate classic. Works anywhere. (Also available with a back, for $415.)
A colorful barstool that can double as a stepladder in a pinch.
A beautiful modern style with just a tiny bit of back support.
Also available in a counter height version.
Perfect for a contemporary interior — also available in leather.
An industrial shape in beautifully luxurious gold — and at a very reasonable price. Also available in steel.
An industrial look and a simple, graceful shape.
A bit of industrial flair, at a price that's hard to beat. Also available in copper, black, blue, and aqua.
Adjusts from counter to bar height to suit your preferences.
A classic shape in a big color at a little price.
(Images: As credited above.)