Best Fabric Shops: Online
- Amy Butler Design: Bright, colorful, poppy fabric designs will make you smile as they work their way across pillows, bags, and books.
- Reprodepot: Given that the majority of Reprodepot’s fabric is under $9 a yard, even novice DIY-ers can jump in and try something new without breaking the bank.
- Purl: Their online shop is also a who’s-who of the current fabric design world and a good place to go if you want to know what’s going on.
- Fabric Guru: Prices range from as low as $1.95/yard to almost $30/yard. There’s an extensive selection of traditional prints, less in the way of contemporary fabrics, and tons of upholstery basics.
- FinnStyle: This Minneapolis-based store has a wide range of Marimekko fabrics, from cotton to upholstery weight to wall hangings.
- Near Sea Naturals: Based in New Mexico, the company sells organic cotton and wool milled in the United States, with a few selections from Australia.
- Fabric.com: Located in Georgia, these people sell all sorts of designer fabric at rock bottom prices, most notably many respectable cotton prints for $2.77 a yard.
- Lewis and Sheron Textile Company: Established in 1944, Lewis & Sheron, a longtime Atlanta decor fabric shop, has made the transition to online retailer. Free shipping on all U.S. orders, a good search function and decent prices (13.98/yard is a popular price point) make this a viable alternative.
- Filz Felt: In addition to felt by the yard (perfect for your own DIY projects) Filz Felt sells, pillows, placemats, trivets, coasters, table runners, floor mats and carpets in brightly colored 100% wool felt that is naturally moisture-resistant, durable, and renewable.
- Repeat Fabrics: We’re suckers for hand printed patterns, so Repeat, a new line of fabric and notions from designers Roisin Fagan and Arounna Khounnoraj, immediately caught our attention. Each style is made with solvent-free ink and printed on natural fabrics.
Published: Dec 29, 2009