Staying green on vacation can be hard with the allure of plastic bottles, shopping bags and disposable toiletries. But you can get a jumpstart on a green vacation by bringing things you already own and keep your everyday green habits in check. We've compiled a list of five everyday items that you should make sure to bring along on your trip...
1. You bring reusable bags on shopping trips at home, and you'll likely need them for gathering your souvenirs, if nothing else they make a great extra carry-on bag or dirty laundry sack. Bring something like the Flip & Tumble that can easily stash away.
2. A water bottle - we love our Siggs & Klean Kanteens, but we think the filtering Ech2o stainless steel water bottle would be particularly handy on the go. A word of caution - we've heard of people getting their bottles taken away at security because of the no liquids policy. If you're flying make sure you pack your bottle in checked luggage, just to be safe.
3. The Solio solar charger is great because you can juice it up with the sun, a wall outlet and by computer.
4. Peak into your medicine cabinet and you'll probably find a few sample and travel sized toiletry bottles. Use these. Then keep them and refill them with your favorite organic and eco-friendly shampoos lotions and soaps to use on your next trip. If you, by some chance don't have any of these mini-bottles, buy some before your next trip. We like Flight 001's Fill + Fly Bottles Set that comes with 4 leak-proof and shatter-resistant bottles in a zip-up bag, all carry-on approved.
5. Lastly - bring your bike! This may not be easy for everyone to do, but getting to know a city by bike is the best! Most airlines and trains will let you check bikes, and if you're driving you can mount it on top of your car or put it in the trunk. Or, to make it even easier, travel by bike and do a bicycle tour!
What everyday green products do you take when you're traveling?