The Best Space Heaters for Every Type of Home (and Budget)
It may not be cold cold yet, but fall is indeed coming, and it’s bringing those chilly, crisp evenings with it. Now’s the time to get ready for the freezing nights, before they’re actually here and everyone’s on the hunt for a heater. You might be stocked up on weighted blankets, plush comforters, and fuzzy socks, but even all those layers are no match for a drafty bedroom. No matter your budget, there are dozens (upon dozens) of quality space heaters out there that will safely keep your room warm and save you a bit on your heating bill. We rounded up our favorites at all price points, from $25 to $600, to help you get your home warm and winter-ready. Not only that, but most of them are small and compact, so they won’t take up too much space if you live in a tiny apartment. Read on to see our top tips and finds!
But first, here are some things to know before you pick up a space heater:
Space Heater Safety Tips
- First step: Make sure your space heater’s label shows that it is listed by a recognized testing laboratory.
- Inspect heaters for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections before each use. If frayed, worn, or damaged, do not use!
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you’re leaving a room or going to sleep, and don’t let pets or children play too close.
- Proper placement of space heaters is critical. Heaters should be kept at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including papers, clothing, and rugs.
- Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Do not use an extension cord or power strip, which could overheat and result in a fire. Also — don’t plug any other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater.
Do you have a space heater you swear by? We want to hear all about it. Tell us about your favorite finds in the comments below!