You spend 18 years putting together the most tasteful, organized, and modern kids rooms possible for your children, and then one August, they up and head off to college, where their room looks like this for four years. In the next few weeks, while the rest of us laze about in the late summer heat, many parents will be moving their 'baby' into their first home away from home - the college residence hall. Below the jump, a sampling of articles from the NYT special section on higher education.
• Good dorm room door decor is crucial.
• Dealing with Homesickness. They may not be calling as much as you want them to, but they sure do miss you.
• More and more, Americans are beginning to embrace the Gap Year.
• For some students, their ideal home away from home is the Residential College.
• Great architectural shots of Whitman, a Residential College at Princeton.
Are you sending a kid off to college this fall? Gearing up for the college application process? Weeping over that first tuition bill, or just the thought of your child living in a dorm room like the one pictured above? Did your room look like that in college?
Photo Credit: Katharine Sidelnik for The New York Times