- Brooklyn, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- The sunlight! As we're south facing with an unobstructed view, our home fills with natural light giving a fresh and airy feel. Our part of Brooklyn is really lacking in green spaces, so the light allows me to place plants in every area. Additionally, our deep window sills make a great place to have a herb garden year round.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Get crafty with creating dividers. We built ours using three basic uncut construction doors stacked sideways. Fastened them together with screwed in metal plates and detailed where the doors met with 2"x1/4" wood as wainscoting. Obviously it's very important to make sure its secure, so we fastened it to the ceiling and floor with 'L' brackets and finished it off with an Ikea shelving hack for added support and storage.
2. When you need to define a separate area in an open floor plan, designate the area with a rug. It creates an island of purpose and surprisingly even a sense of privacy from the rest of the space.
3. Loft living rarely has good storage as is the case with ours. Hooks or a coat rack right when you enter are priceless! It really keeps jackets from ending up on dining chairs or in that bad habit heap wherever that may be. Also, renting a nearby storage unit for larger seasonal items like bikes and snowboards has been helpful.