There may be no better toy for imaginative play at a wide variety of ages (even adults!) than good old-fashion wood blocks. As a Toy Designer, I remember once receiving an idea submission that was simply a wooden block with a face on it! It was ridiculous, but definitely rooted in the reality of playtime: kids love blocks, and blocks love them too.
Basic blocks also leave tons of room for interpretation. It's that kind of open-ended play that encourages all the best kinds of learning in our kids. Especially in a world that is increasingly full of digital toys. Toy companies are also getting really creative with their own reinterpretations of blocks. Here are a couple of my favorites:
- Coliseum Set (110 pieces)
- Citiblocs Hot Colors Building Blocks (100 pieces)
- Tegu Tints 40 Piece Explorer Set
- Arx Building Blocks (24 pieces)
- Kubix Letters and Numbers (40 pieces)
(images as linked above)