- Caitlin & John
- Brooklyn, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- The floor-to-ceiling windows and the balcony, providing natural light and fresh air, felt like such luxuries after the cramped tenement apartments we'd previously rented. We were able to blend our two tastes well, choosing a minimal and modern look that is still cozy and relaxing. The most important goal was to create an escape from the city, to bring in elements that made the apartment feel like a house by the beach. Our ever-growing library of art books adds a lot of personality and reflects our shared passion for collecting art.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Control clutter. Learn to accept that your space will get messy when life is busy, and that's okay. Combat this by placing storage bins and baskets in trouble spots. A letter rack hung by the front door keeps mail and keys off the kitchen counter, laundry bins in each room provide a place to throw clothes, and a woven basket on our bookshelf keeps all those messy cords and chargers hidden from view. It can create a lot of 'to sort out later' piles, but at least it keeps things off the floors and counters.
2. Have a designated office space. It may only be a foot away from the dining table, but creating a separate desk space to use the computer, pay bills, and get work done has made all the difference. We added drawers and cabinets to either end of our bookcase to store office supplies and file paperwork.
3. Potted plants, fresh cut herbs and flowers, or a bright bowl of fruit add color and life with minimal effort.