If we could all be so lucky to inherit a 17th century mansion in the Northern Italian countryside, Villa Albergoni is a good inspiration (and the real shooting location is for sale!). Yes, it's got some 80s memorabilia in Elio's room that you could take or leave, but it's largely filled with antiques and objects spanning time and geography. I love how cozy it feels, even in its grandeur.
The Perlman family is a well-read, multilingual family of intellectuals and their home reflects it. Books, globes, paintings, sculptures and oddities are displayed all over and without pretension. To be fair, they didn't have Instagram to casually brag about it.
You want to scour a lot of different retailers to build the look over time. No purchasing sets! It's a fun look because it is eclectic. The overall palette is warm but you don't have to stick to one style.
The first order of business is calling your relatives and offering to clean out their attics, storage units, and basements and taking any fabulous treasures off their hands. Another great place to find older, one-of-a-kind pieces is Goodwill and other charity thrift shops or estate sales. Framed landscape paintings and portraits are perfect to fill your walls. They add a sense of history. Violante Visconti di Modrone, the set decorator, hung Japanese paintings on the walls of the living room and cameos of Lombard kings surrounding a gilded mirror in the office. Find curiosities that interest you.
Furniture-wise, there are no hard and fast rules. In the office, a red, rolled-arm sofa sits next to a spiral leg console table both of which abut a traditional rug. For seating and tables, look for wooden pieces with various leg styles. Saber, reeded, and scroll are all acceptable. As previously mentioned, the palette is warm so instead of raw wood, go for stained pieces or naturally darker species like mahogany and walnut. Soft finishes can be in the red family, but notice there are a few green chairs thrown in. Be a bit cheeky. Embrace contrast.
To finish off the look, treat yourself to a truly show-stopping chandelier. Forget silver, nickel, and polished chrome even exist. Oil rubbed bronze, satin brass, and antique copper are perfectly suited for this palette. If there are crystals dripping from it, great. If it's got multiple tiers, even better! Be a bit ostentatious. You deserve it.
Get the look
- Sofa: Birch Lane Durham Sofa, from $800.99
- Chandelier: Kathy Ireland Venezia Chandelier, sale $299.95
- Side table: Newport End Table, sale $749
- Map: Target Antique World Map, from $32.49
- Dining table: Pier 1 Juniper Java Dining Table, sale $719.95
- Dining chairs: Chippendale Side Chair in Cream Microfiber, $161.99
- Area rug: Safavieh Vintage Hamadan Traditional Red/ Multi Rug (8' x 10'), sale $194.79
- Bookcase: Thayer Standard Bookcase, $246.99
- Armchair: Potter Barn Roll Arm Slipcovered Armchair, sale from $839
- Paint colors: Benjamin Moore Artichoke Hearts 382; Benjamin Moore Country White 898; Benjamin Moore Soleil AF-330