- Durham, NC
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- We purchased a 1927 Tudor style home in downtown Durham, NC. One of the benefits of this spacious corner lot was a large garage with an unfinished workshop upstairs. From the time we purchased the house, the idea was to convert that garage space into an in-law rental unit.
Sitting on the peak of the property the end result was a 550 square foot, open, light filled, one-bedroom apartment with four skylights, a huge bathroom, walk-in closet and french doors leading to a large deck. Because we laid everything out meticulously, the apartment felt much larger and airier than a typical 550 square footprint.
The Urban Treehouse, sits up in the treeline and looks out over the yard and street below. The style is modern juxtaposed against our nearly century old house. Because we fell in love with the Treehouse, we ended up living there and renting out our main house full time. We love how much more simple, streamlined and uncluttered our life became as a result!
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1) Use all of the height in your closet for maximum storage.
2 Use sound proofing between rooms and on doors as well as quiet appliances to keep the space serene.
3) Utilize pocket doors that take up less wall space.