It was a little awhile back we reported about the announcement of the Zikmu Parrot by Starck, a docking station and speaker system for iPods or iPhones. We finally got to actually give the system a listen at CES on Saturday.
As noted previously the Starck designed Zikmu Parrot is a decor friendly charging docking station speaker solution which offers digital sound processing, a flat panel/dual side speaker system which creates a wider acoustic image (the system works as a pair), and even hides a subwoofer in the bottom end of the column design. A wi-fi and Bluetooth option allows users to stream audio directly from a Mac or PC if you don't want to dock a DAP. The monolithic design is definitely an eye catcher, as noted by the sizable crowd huddled around the 4 colour spread of speakers being showcased (right next to a Parrot branded remote control hover craft).
Although a trade show is anything but optimal for listening to anything audio related (well, except for noise canceling headphones), we were pleased with the overall quality and clarity of the speakers, especially considering the acoustic deficiencies created by a huge trade show area (total power output is 100W RMS, 50W per channel). We hope to follow up in due time with a true hands-on experience, but for now those interested can discover more about the stylish (but pricey $1,600) Zikmu Parrot over at Parrot by Starck.
- Wi-Fi b/g with SES/WPS
- Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR
- A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)
- AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile)
- Maximum range: 15 metres
- Pairing: by PIN code (0000)
- Updates via Bluetooth
- Total power output: 100W RMS
- 3-channel (Class D) digital amplifier
- Frequency range: 50 Hz – 20 kHz
- Compatible audio formats: MP3, LPCM
- Settings: volume, R/L balance, equaliser with presets
- RF remote control
- RCA line-in input for all audio analogue sources
- Power supply: 70W (per speaker)
- Height: 750 mm
- Dimensions - bottom: 320 x 290 mm
- Dimensions - top: 130 x 35 mm
- 3.5kg per speakers
- Total weight 30lbs