Craig Takes On New York Real Estate Brokers
Perhaps nerds WILL take over the universe. As articles about Craig Newmark (of Craigslist) get around lately, it’s damn comforting to know that idealistic values (which all seem to hail from our West Coast) are still alive and well SOMEWHERE. Reported in Curbed is a Wired interview in which he tells of policing his list (daily) and dealing directly with miscreants.
Has anyone made moral compromises that have affected craigslist users?
Apartment brokers in Manhattan.
Now you’re talking evil.
They can be very aggressive. We get complaints that they’ll list apartments on craigslist as having no fees, then try to extract a fee when people show up. That’s a difference of two months’ rent.
I’ve dealt with those folks. They’re pretty tough. How do you stand up to them?
I call them. I say this is Craig from craigslist. They say “Oh yeah, and I’m the Easter Bunny.”
(Photo: Robyn Twomy via Wired) MGR
REAL ESTATE LINKS
– Mr. Craigslist, Master of the Nerdiverse (Wired)
– What is Rent Control? (NYPost)
– Inside the Olsen Pad (Curbed)
– The Money is buying north of the track in the Hamptons (Hamptons C&G)
– Condo Boards Start to Use Muscle Downtown (NYMag)
– Is The $1 Million Apartment Sale an Urban Legend? (Observer)
– US Housing Market Slowing? (RealDeal)
– Chelsea Upstate? Beacon, NY (NYPost)