- Brooklyn, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- My husband and I previously lived in an even smaller apartment on the same block as this apartment in the Historic District of Brooklyn Heights; Every day I walked by this apartment building and wondered what it was like inside the apartment with the unique arched top window. One day while searching the internet, I came across a rental listing for that very same apartment- and a few days later, we were planning our move. We love the location and the charm and details of the main room. Living in New York City where space is a premium, we made the easy sacrifice of charm and location over having more space. Though the space has history, we used a mix of more modern furnishings and objects to personalize our home.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Do not be afraid of dark wall colors. Dark walls recede in space and makes your art and decorative objects to standout.
2. Find storage wherever you can. Maximize closet space by adding a double hang rod. Use decorative boxes and containers to store and organize small items. Put hooks on every door to hang extra bags and jackets. Everything should have a place.
3. Find ways for your furniture to serve more than one function. Use a chest of drawers next to a sofa instead of an end table for extra storage. We put a lamp on one end of our dining table for a work surface to spread out papers or use a laptop.