Finding artwork you love (and can afford) can take time. And there are only so many mirrors you can have before you start looking like a serious narcissist. Wall brackets or shelves are one way to bring character to a blank wall or space. The more traditional looking pieces provide excellent contrast in modern or contemporary rooms. These shelves and brackets can be used alone (Image 1) or to display all manner of objects you love and wish to keep away from the reach of children and pets!
• 1 Rose Uniacke shell sconces discovered on The Peak of Chic.
• 2 Antique Pembroke wall bracket. Hollis & Knight, $210.
• 3 Wood cinder block shelving designed by Sergio Silva.
• 4 Melissa P 6908 on Etsy, $16.99.
• 5 Ash at Home on Etsy, $24.
• 6 Fabulous Mess at Etsy, $58.
• 7 Statue King on eBay, $20.25.
• 8 Home Decorators Collection (set of 2), $149.
• 9 Inspired by handcarved Indian capitals (an ornate column top salvaged from an aging building). Made of plaster and can be used as a ashelf or just as decoration. Wisteria, $59-79.
• 10 Inspired by fold-up seats used by elevator operators. Anthropologie, $98.
• 11 Catrin and Chris's New Traditional Townhouse. In our living room I placed a reproduction antique Swedish doll on a wall bracket purchased at the Kellogg Collection in Washington DC.
• 12 Reclaimed tin is used as shelving. Lavender Fields, $78.
• 13 Pipe shelving from Dirty Bliss on Etsy, $109.
• 14 Rustic shadow box using reclaimed wood. Reclaimed Trends on Etsy, $39.71.
• 15 The Puppet Coven on Etsy, $28.95.