The Renovation Diaries are a collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.
Y’all this is the week I’ve been dreading… The week we officially lose our kitchen. We woke up bright and early on Saturday to get started on phase II of demo. I was in no mood for manual labor, but Austin knows me well and coaxed me out of bed with coffee and pastries. We got started ripping out the remaining lower cabinets, only to find more tile underneath (drats!), so we had to get that up with this 6 ft crowbar that we’ve appropriately named the apocalypse tool because you can use it for literally everything.
The flooring underneath the cabinets was gross, to say the least, especially where the dishwasher had been. After removing a little more sheetrock, Austin started removing the studs, which we’d discussed at length with David, our contractor, to ensure that they were not load bearing. Once Austin started cutting through them, it was obvious they weren’t, because they came right up!
We left all but the last few studs that probably are load bearing, so David will have to come back to remove those and install a header above to compensate. From there it was back to the garage to work on that ridiculous painted brick wall. We spent about three hours chiseling, brushing, and rinsing it and we are definitely making progress… I think.
We also had a few less strenuous moments of productivity this week as well. On Sunday we took a drive out towards the hill country to look into some reclaimed wood for our kitchen shelving, and boy did we hit the jackpot! We settled on some beautiful long leaf pine taken from an old cotton mill that the owner estimated had been built around 1908. We went with the 13” x 2” boards, but we’re going to have them plane it down to about 1 ⅜”. It should be ready to pick up in a few weeks, and we got a great deal on it. A much needed win for the books!
We also found a better price on our subway tile for the kitchen at a local shop, and finally found a bathroom floor tile that we both like and can afford (it’s under $2/square foot!). The tile will mostly be white, but we are going to buy a few sheets that are black and white, and use the black smaller squares to incorporate randomly.
Our tremendously heavy clawfoot tub arrived this week! She is a beauty and a force to be reckoned with. They gave us a three hour delivery window (from 3:00 - 6:00pm), so we scheduled some friends to come help us move it, but then the truck arrived at noon. Thankfully we happened to be home, and so was David, so we wrestled that beast on to two wheel dollies and got it into the backyard until our friends arrived. We also purchased our tankless water heater and toilet, and the bathroom fixtures arrived in the mail as well. Our living room has basically become a warehouse at this point.
The electricians have been making progress and should be ready for inspection soon. They’ve completed a lot of wiring in the garage, and have also cut the holes and wired for the new smoke detectors throughout the entire house. We’ve got a temporary heat rigging of the new HVAC unit right now, which is nice, because we’ve had some fairly chilly nights lately. Austin has to leave town for work next week, so I’m going to stay at my parents' house so that all of the contractors can have around the clock access to work on everything.
Check out the full series (so far) and be sure to join us next week for installment #10 of Danielle and Austin's kitchen & garage remodel.
(Images and diary text: Danielle and Austin)