Danielle and Austin's Kitchen & Garage Remodel: We Have Cabinets! (Finally)

Danielle and Austin's Kitchen & Garage Remodel: We Have Cabinets! (Finally)

Sep 16, 2014
This was a sight for sore eyes.

Name: Austin & Danielle (of Forage + Fodder)
Type of Project: Kitchen & Garage Remodel
Location: Austin, Texas
Type of building: One story, Single-Family House, 1250 square feet

The Renovation Diaries are a collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.

THE CABINETS ARE INSTALLED. This is a joy that I’ve never known. They look so fantastic! Austin and my uncle took off a day from work to install the remainder of the kitchen, and I came home to true beauty and a very proud husband.

Installing cabinets is sort of terrible. It takes FOREVER.
Our off-center sink...I guess you could say it adds character.

The only thing we realized is the sink isn’t centered under the window. Boo. But it’s too late to move the window because that wall is full of plumbing, gas, and electrical lines at this point. Ah well, some intentional styling will hide it well enough. The countertop guys came out to measure everything this week and said that it should be a two week turnaround. That’s longer than I’d hoped for, but I guess that’s just the way it is.

Painting ceilings is not fun for anyone.

This week we also primed and painted the bedroom, closet, laundry room, and entryway. I will say, that opting for white walls does make it difficult to remember what has been painted and what has only been primed. ‘Ash Essence’ is basically primer white. Also, the paint experts told us that with a smooth ceiling (aka no popcorn or texture) we could just do an extra coat of primer rather than buy ceiling paint, which saved us a few bucks.

The laundry room tile in progress.

We picked up our floor tile, and David has already tiled the laundry room — which means we are very close to having a washer and dryer again! For the bathroom floor, we decided on a white octagon pattern, but we wanted a few black tiles too, so we bought two sheets of the tile pattern with black dots, and we’re just going to have them sporadically placed throughout the floor. Unfortunately I didn’t realize that this meant popping out all of the little black tiles and using a blade to make sure the edges were clean, which took over an hour. It’ll be worth it though.

Tedious, but worth it in the end I hope.

We also had to demo part of the ledge that leads into our living room. It looked like the previous owners had tried to build it out because it was basically crumbling under the tile, which left a very uneven surface. We’ll have to talk to David to see how we can install the wood flooring over it.

This ledge just kept crumbling. Not sure what to do about it...
The valve that had to be moved literally an inch over.

Our plumber came and moved the water shutoff valve, so we were able to install the bathroom cabinet this week, and we got a few coats of primer on the walls. We’ll hopefully finish up all of the painting by next week, so we can get started laying down those beautiful wood floors. We were hoping to be done by this week, but I think we’re only about two weeks out!

The current state of things... Womp.

Estimated time for project: 13 weeks
Time remaining: Gosh, who really knows...

Check out the full series (so far) and be sure to join us tomorrow for installment #17 of Danielle and Austin's kitchen & garage remodel.

(Images and diary text: Danielle and Austin)

moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt