Day 1: Friday, August 2...and the Weekend of August 3 & 4
Assignment: Get out and about to take some inspiration photos
The Style Cure chores for this weekend are pure fun. When was the last time your homework was to hit your favorite spots around town for some professional-level inspiration scouting? But, just because this assignment is enjoyable, don't underestimate its importance. The images you'll gather over the next few days will help you to confidently build your design plan - you'll be getting a glimpse at your new room!
This Weekend's Assignments:
• Head out to your favorite home shops, local cafes, or other retail and public spaces that you admire - the more the merrier - and do the 2013 version of window shopping: snap some photos! Designers, stylists and editors have been doing this forever - it's a super-effective way to start getting a handle on what appeals to you visually.
Just let your eyes and heart be your guide - this isn't about a piece of furniture that you need, paint chips that seem sensible or pricetags you can afford, this is simply recognizing and recording what looks good to you, right now. Don't worry about finding things for a specific room - you're seeking beauty, ideas and inspiration.
Take photos of whatever appeals to you, from single pieces of furniture to whole room setups, from the perfect blue vase to a cleverly displayed wall of prints - if it is visually attractive, capture an image of it. A wild wallpaper pattern in a hotel lobby, your friend's great green shoes, a garden full of wildflowers, a secondhand chair with great upholstery at the thrift store, a bright movie poster - all are fair game.
Remember this is about inspiration, so we're thinking about color, pattern, shape, texture and scale more than specifics - while you may not ever even consider buying any of the sofas you photograph this weekend, you may learn that you consistently are attracted to compact loveseats with wooden legs, rolled arms and high tufted back cushions or that dark blue is showing up in your favorites more consistently than any other color.
Snap up info too - if there is a great paint color on the wall and you can find out from the shopkeeper what they used, note it down. If you see a chair that might be perfect for that corner of the bedroom take a picture of it AND its price tag, along with the measurements.
- When you've finished your field research and are back at home, review your images and edit them down to your absolute favorites - the ones that you feel best capture a look, mood or style that you'd like to incorporate into your home someday. Then, upload and share your favorites to one of the following so you can easily refer back to them for analysis and review later while sharing them with all of us doing the Style Cure together:
-Pinterest: start a Style Cure board and tag each image with #stylecure
-Instagram: tag each image with #stylecure
-Twitter: tag your photos with #stylecure
-A post on your own blog
- Finally, add a link to your Pinterest Style Cure board, your Instagram or Twitter account or your blog post in the comments below so we can all share in the rewards of the treasure hunt. Have fun this weekend - I can't wait to see the pics!
Note: If you prefer a different platform for collating your images, go for it and if it's shareable, give us the link in the comments - thanks!
Liveblogging the Style Cure
Follow along in real time with six Apartment Therapy team members who are doing the Style Cure this month:
- Julia's Treasure Hunt: In a New Direction
- Kim's Treasure Hunt: City Culture & Style
- Tara's Treasure Hunt: My Purple Period
- Dabney's Treasure Hunt: Inpiring Workspaces
- Lauren's Treasure Hunt from Home
- Alison's Treasure Hunt: Inspiration Scouting, From Bed
Join The Style Cure: Click Here to Sign Up
Questions? Comments? Pictures? Email us about your progress at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get the Book: Apartment Therapy's The Eight Step Home Cure by Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan
Follow and contribute on Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter! The Style Cure: #stylecure