Day 9: Tuesday, August 13
Assignment: Your Decor Pairing: Project or Product
Yesterday, in addition to locking down a color choice for your upcoming paint job we also asked you to think about a decor pairing - a well-considered project or product that will improve the interior design of your room by fulfilling some identified needs, both visual and use-based. Now that you've decided on the pairing, you need to figure out whether is is something you are going to buy (product) or make (project) and then do your research...
Today's Assignment: In the coming days, will you be hitting your favorite home shop to find the perfect product or settling in to get some work done on a DIY project? Here's how to proceed, in either case...
• If your decor pairing is a product: No matter what you've decided to buy for your decor pairing, the sooner you start looking into what is out there in the retail world, the better. Start your search online today to get an idea of available sizes, shapes, colors, textures, lead times, price ranges etc. Pin your product possibilities to your Style Cure board or bookmark them so you don't lose out on any good leads. This is about finding a range of product that all might fulfill your decor pairing brief - the goal isn't to find "the" lamp or "the" bar cart, but rather to start forming a picture of not only what sizes and styles are available, but what the low and high end of the cost spectrum is for the product you are sourcing. As always, feel free to share links to what you are considering in the comments below and ask your fellow Style Cure-ers for feedback.
- If your decor pairing is a project: Start searching online for sources of good solid how-to tutorials and lessons for similar projects. Make note of supplies needed, suggested skill levels required and, very importantly, the time commitment needed. Today is your chance to figure out exactly what you are committing to in terms of a DIY and knowledge is the secret to (successful project!) power.
• Download our PDF to see the full upcoming schedule (and print it out if having a hard copy is helpful to you)
Liveblogging the Style Cure: Follow along in real time with Apartment Therapy team members who are doing the Style Cure this month:
- Julia's Product Research:Industrial-Style Bookcase for under $100
- Lauren's Product Research: Beautiful Utility
- Tara's Project Research: DIY Curtain Overload
- Kim's Project + Product Research: DIY Headboard & Sourcing Nightstands
- Alison's Product Research: Oops! I Already Bought Something!
Join The Style Cure: Click Here to Sign Up
Questions? Comments? Pictures? Email us about your progress at email@example.com
Get the Book: Apartment Therapy's The Eight Step Home Cure by Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan
Follow and contribute on Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter! The Style Cure: #stylecure
(Image: Nicole Crowder / Sara's Vintage Luxury Find )