A Cool California Rental Is Bursting with Color and DIY Inspiration
Can't-Miss House Tours Straight to Your Inbox
Keep up with our latest house tours each weekday with our House Tour of the Day newsletter
Name: Dani Nagel and Phillip Butler
Location: Beachwood Canyon—Hollywood, LA
Size: 2,000 square feet
Years lived in: 6 months, renting
Tucked in the narrow and winding streets of the Hollywood Hills is the historic Spanish style apartment Dani Nagel and her boyfriend Phillip Butler call home, or rather, call the Dazeywood Penthouse. Dazey LA (headquartered in their home) is the name of the clothing line pioneered by Dani, a playful brand with bold graphic tees on a mission to get people talking about things that matter to women today: saving the planet, feminism, and mental health, among others. One of her designs says in fat, pink letters, “Do the damn dream!” And that’s exactly what she’s doing, from running her label to redecorating not only their Hollywood home but also their mid-century desert dream house in Palm Springs, and even a new venture in painting murals. Their home is, like the brand, bold, colorful, and fun. Each space has a unique color palette, complete with murals, jewel-toned velvet upholstery, and of course, tons of art.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Inspiration: Art Deco meets Moroccan. Soft pink furniture and ’80s/’90s hues mixed in with bold vintage textiles. Vintage finds mixed in with curated new pieces.
Favorite Element: I love our massive 15-foot pink velvet Joybird couch! It’s easily the most statement piece we have in the house, but also the most comfortable.
Biggest Challenge: The house came with amazing bones no doubt, but the lighting fixtures and wall colors were not doing it justice. We repainted the whole apartment and changed out every lighting fixture. The difference it made was unbelievable!
Proudest DIY: Our big dot murals! Phillip had the idea of tying a pencil to a string attached to a nail in the wall to get the circle perfect. This was the first time we had really done any mural-type work and since then we’ve been going full force with it and turning my graphics into murals at conferences and all over!
Biggest Indulgence: Our vintage Moroccan rugs! But SO worth it.
Best Advice: Don’t be afraid of color; it adds so much warmth and character to a space! Accent walls are a great way to get started.
PAINT & COLORS
- Dunn-Edwards was the brand we used for all our paint (THE BEST!)
- White walls — Lighthouse
- Living room and kitchen (pink) — Pale Jasper
- Bedroom (yellow) — Deserted Path
- Dani’s Office (blue) — Falling Tears
- Phillips Office (green) — Pistachio Ice-cream
- Pink Couch — Joybird
- Green Daybed — Joybird
- Asymmetrical pink chair — Joybird
- Wall Art — Custom from Bend Goods
- Sconces — Hudson Valley Lighting
- Plants — Ponderosa Cactus
- Floor Lamps — Hudson Valley Lighting
- Pillows — Adaptations NY
- Pillows/Poufs — DK renewal
- Rug, Large arc Mirror, coffee table, hand chair, bookshelf — Vintage
- Kitchen Island — Amazon
- Lighting — My Mitzi
- Chairs — Bend Goods
DANI’S OFFICE/ART STUDIO
Pullout couch — Joybird
Coffee table — Joybird
Desk — Joybird
Art — Dani’s Original
Rug, Desk chair, Office chair, rug — Vintage
All Furniture — Bend Goods
Plants — Ponderosa Cactus
- Lighting — Hudson Valley Lighting
Thanks Dani and Phillip!
More great House Tour reads:
- Before and After: This Kitchen’s Whole Remodel Is Great, But the Floors are to Die For
- A 550-Square-Foot NYC Rental Is Organized, Colorful, and Decorated for Under $4K
- A Minimal 269-Square-Foot Spanish Studio Makes Living Small Look Easy (and Gorgeous)
- ‘Tiny Miss Dolly On Wheels’ Is the Most Charming Tiny House Ever