Dealing with Water Damage in a Rental

Dealing with Water Damage in a Rental

Laure Joliet
Sep 24, 2007

This weekend's rain was definitely welcomed, what with 2007 having little to no rain so far. For some of us, however, the rain brought some surprises. We found out during friday's incredible thunder and lightning show that there might be a hole in the roof since the walls in the bedroom essentially started raining.

It's important if you've been affected (or afflicted) by the weekend's rain that your landlord takes real action. If the walls have gotten wet like mine, calling water damage professionals is imperative. You have 24-72 hours to get the moisture out of the walls before mold begins to grow and then you've got a much bigger, and more expensive, problem on your hands. And this does not just mean opening a window and turning on a fan!

My landlord has brought in a team of professionals and has organized for the drywall to be demolished and re-installed. I'm in the city of Los Angeles and so as long as my apartment is 'uninhabitable' he's required to provide me somewhere to live. He offered a local motel but I found a sublet on craigslist that was the same price. So I'm set up there on my landlord's tab. I'm also not paying rent for the days that I am out.

Check out these links for more info on renter's rights:

California Apartment Association
LA Weekly: Tenant Rights
Find your renter's board on Oh My Apt
LA Housing Site
Santa Monica Rent Control
Los Angeles tenant Rights

moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt