If you're just joining us, Pantone made their huge annual announcement on Thursday: the Color of the Year 2018 is Ultra Violet. Pantone says it "takes our awareness and potential to a higher level," though it might be a Friends throwback or something more subtle. Either way, we've found out what you think, but we thought we'd ask some of our favorite designers and influencers for their professional opinions. Check out what some of the pros had to say about the new reigning hue:
"To be honest, purple is one of my least favorite colors, but I'm looking forward to being challenged to use it more in the coming year." — Joy Cho, Oh Joy!
"Ultra Violet: a bold choice for color of the year, indeed. This hue is a bit intimidating (which I like!) because it comes across so purposeful and decisive. There is no fading away into the background with this color, in home decor, fashion or design. I'm excited to see how people incorporate Ultra Violet over the next year and if it will be catch on as much as Millennial Pink or Rose Quartz." — Kate Arends, Wit & Delight
"I love this color! It reminds me of the shade of purple used in my series DREAM, which is of colorful sheep along the Australian countryside. I'm excited to see more of it in the New Year." — Gray Malin
"If you're really into school mascots or graduation gowns, this shade of purple is going to make you very excited."— Emily Henderson
More Color of the Year news
- Here's What People Think About Ultra Violet, Pantone's Color of the Year
- Could Pantone's Color of the Year BE Any More of a Friends Throwback?
- The Hidden Meaning in Pantone's Color of the Year
- 7 Colors that SHOULD Have Been the Pantone Color of the Year
- The Most Approachable Way to Use Pantone's Color of the Year at Home
- 8 Rooms in Pantone's Color of the Year We're Totally Crushing On