When we think of traditional style, thoughts of heavy drapes and untouchable furnishings often come to mind. However, the work of designer David H. Mitchell's shows how classic design can dwell peacefully with contemporary comfort and refreshing color palettes. We're most inspired by his ability to infuse a variety of patterns into a room while still maintaining an overall sense of harmony. Check out a few beautiful favorites after the jump...
• 1 We love how Mitchell managed to create a calm living room while using a dose of bold colors.
• 2 &3 A great example of how a variety of textures and patterns can meld for a harmonious, comfortable look. Striped fabric, herringbone patterned fireplace, and diamond rug and pillows add just enough interest to the calming, neutral space.
• 4&5 This was one of my favorite rooms from this year's DC Design House. The long narrow room could have been a design disaster, but Mitchell managed to make it into a calming, cohesive space. Rather than focusing on the gorgeous fireplace centered in the room, he created with two relating but distinct seating areas on either side of the space, and connected them with a dramatically displayed table. Mitchell designed the sisal rug based on the inspiration of dental molding.
• 6, 7, 8 A restrained palette of gray neutrals allow for a wonderful mix of patterns and furnishing styles. Jacobean, art deco, and eastern furnishings meld for a look that is both luxurious and livable. We love the coffee table and ottoman combination that has become a Mitchell signature.
• 9 Simplicity reigns in this comfortable master bedroom, which Mitchell designed with recessed displays for the Jonathan Adler pottery that the couple received as wedding presents.
To check out more of Mitchell's work and to learn more about his design services and products (including an inspiring line of accent pillows), visit his website.