Succulents are striking on their own — but arranging them in groups, patterns, or introducing a colorful species — elevates their interest on a whole new level. Whether you combine a few like varieties together in a pot or arrange succulents to form a pattern in a vertical garden, it's certain to add mega drama to your garden.
Succulents, with their stunning forms and vivid colors, lend themselves extremely well to bold design choices. While many of the images above are over-the-top examples — beautiful, but perhaps beyond the reach of the beginner gardener — don't feel like it's all or nothing. Start small by adding a catchy succulent container to your balcony (photos 6-9), or pick a small area in your garden that could use some TLC and convert it into a lovely succulent composition (photos 13-15). And don't fret, you don't have to live in a warm climate to get this look; while you won't have quite as many to choose from, there are plenty of cold hardy varieties that will weather the winter. Just research which varieties are best suited for your zone. Or, plant the tender succulents in a container that you can winter indoors. Browse through the photo gallery for inspiring ways to incorporate succulents in your own garden.
- Framed succulent wall art via csucculent.com.
- Traffic stopping succulent wall and oversized container garden by forget me not Landscape Design.
- Succulent roof on a shed via About.com.
- Green succulent wall on a green roof by Rebecca Cole Design via GettingHome Design.
- Sanseviera succulent border via csucculent.com.
- Concentric circle container garden via csucculent.com.
- Succulent container garden via fresh pair of Eyes.
- Trio of succulent containers designed by Debra Lee Baldwin via Associated Content from Yahoo.
- Modern succulent container via Nadia Knows Gardens.
- Magazine clipping via Juiced Pixels, garden design by Urban Exotic.
- A pop of succulent color in this "octopus" garden via About.com.
- Succulent bed of "roses" via About.com.
- Landscape painting with succulents via Sunset.
- Persian rug featuring succulents via csucculent.com.
- Illusion of a water garden via csucculent.com..
Images: As linked above