Displaying Your Hipstamatic Prints at Home
Retro-style photos that make pretty much everything look amazing? There’s an app for that! Hipstamatic pics have become an everyman’s art form, so why don’t we see them more often in analog display? Here are a few suggestions for showing off your Hipsta collection at home.
First, you need to get your photos printed. Don’t expect the high quality you’d achieve with a fancy digital camera. Hipstamatic prints make up for their low-resolution graininess with saturated, evocative color and effortlessly framed compositions. If you don’t want to go the home printer route (which involves trimming down paper), send ’em off to the Hipstamart print lab, where you can get 4″, 7″, 10″, or 30″ prints made.
Some display ideas:
• These framed pics are mobile-phone shots taken for “Phonography,” a benefit art show held at San Diego’s Blind Lady Ale House. Photo by Grant Brittain.
• I’m loving the Boo Box by Hatchcraft. It’s an easy-to-assemble bamboo shadow box frame, available in 5.5″ (to fit 4″ prints) or 9.5″ (to fit 7″ prints).
• Someone should figure out an affordable way to recreate this stunning backdrop. Maybe ditch the glass and get crafty with plywood, paint, and some framing? Mod Podge? In any case, a display like this would deliver dramatic impact in any room.
• I want to put these picture-puzzle Hipstamagnets by Jill Giordano all over my fridge.
• This simple grouping of Polaroids from Crystal & Gavin’s House for Modernist Cats (& Dogs!) pops against the charcoal wall. Hipstamatics would look just as glam.
• Mario Estrada from Hipstamart took this Hipsta pic of a DIY display in his old room. Tiny wooden or metal clothespins work especially well for this kind of look. Run string or wire in straight lines if you prefer a neater look. Get your pics mounted on Gatorboard and cut to size if you want to keep them from eventually curling at the edges.
• Signed and Numbered’s attractive square frames come in lots of different styles and colors and fit 4″x4″ photos. Prices start at $9.