How To Make “Fold, Stitch & Stuff” Floor Cushions
Big pillows may be readily available, but what if you long for custom accessories that won’t break your bank? My mock boxed cushions stuffed with standard bed pillows are so inexpensive and easy to make, you’ll never want mass produced again. Once you make one, it only takes about 30 minutes to put the next one together. This project goes so fast, you can knock out 3 or 4 before noon, clean up your apartment and be ready for guests by 7:00. This is a clever way to bring unexpected color and pattern into your room.
Project: Fold, Stitch & Stuff Floor Cushions
Time: 1.5 hours
Tools and Resources:
- 1 yard of fabric
- 2 inexpensive, standard sized bed pillows
- ruler or measuring tape
- 20 inches of Velcro for each pillow
- sewing machine
Step by Step:
- Fold 1 yard of 54″ fabric in half, lengthwise
- Measure and cut the folded fabric so you have a doubled piece measuring 41″ x 28 1/2″. A standard bed pillow measures 20 x 26 inches and they will be placed side by side inside the cushion cover.
- With the edges that measure 41″ long, fold each one over 1″ and then another 1″. Pin, press and stitch in place. This forms finished back edges where the Velcro will be centered, pinned and stitched later.
- Pin and stitch the remaining sides together, leaving a 20″ opening in the center of the ‘hemmed’ side (the side you just folded and stitched). Be sure to reinforce the stitching (backtack) on both sides of the opening so the stitches don’t rip out when you stuff the cushion cover.
- Now, adjust each corner so that you have a triangular point with the stitched seam right on top and in the center of the point. Pin and stitch across the point two inches from the end of the point. This line of stitching is what forms the mock boxing.
- Snip off the extra fabric at the corners and turn the cushion right side out.
- Pin and stitch the top and bottom pieces of the Velcro on the finished edges you prepared in Step 3. Make sure they are placed on inside of the opening.
- To connect the two bed pillows for your cushion filling, cut along one long seam of each pillow, opeining the side of the pillow form.
- Next, measure and cut an equal number of 1″ x 4″ fringe on the cut edges of each pillow.
- Tie the fringe pieces from both pillow tops together and repeat for the pillow bottoms.
- Now you’re ready to place your new, floor sized pillow insert into the cover.
- It is perfectly acceptable to fill out each corner with extra stuffing, upholsterers do this all the time.
- Close the Velcro, get situated, and turn on the tube.
-The pillows don’t necessarily have to be tied together but it will help keep the stuffing even.
I’ve also used this project to make my dog a nice, inexpensive bed. The pillow inserts are easy to clean or replace. Also, to keep the pillows fresh and relaxing, add a little sachet of flax seed mixed with lavender.
For other inspiring floor cushion styles, check these out:
Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
See all of our Home Hacks tutorials
We’re looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!
Submit your own Home Hacks tutorial or idea here!
(Images: Shelly Leer)
Originally posted 02.02.2009 – JL