DIY iPod Dock From Reused Parts & Leftover Chicken

DIY iPod Dock From Reused Parts & Leftover Chicken

Mar 19, 2010

Look who's back in town! The DIY recycled parts iPod Dock! For those of you who are not old enough to remember the original installments, this is the continuation of a saga that began as a simple iPod dock to be made from leftover parts I had lying around.

Last year I had a couple of really deep projects that I was all excited about that got shelved due to having a baby. The concept of having free time becomes all the more illusory when a little animal that needs every minute of your attention steps into your life.

Well, my body has almost fully recovered and the call of the toolbox has become loud enough that I cannot ignore it any longer. So, for anyone out there who was paying attention, welcome back to the iPod dock story.

When I started this so long ago, I was about 1/2 of the way through my iPhone contract and thought, "Hey, this dock is going to be for Apple products, I may add a line-in or something, but I am going to keep it simple." It has now been over two years and I must say that I am not sure I am going to get another iPhone. As most of you have heard, it has finally been proven that Apple products are inferior to both PC based operating systems and the hardware they run on. This means I may get myself a Droid and there will no longer be an actual Apple dock integrated into the body. I am tired of being a slave to Jobsism.

So the first thing I did when getting back into this project is find all the parts… not so hard, as it turns out, with the exception of one piece of leather that had my label sewn into it. Better than losing electronic parts.

After corralling all the items on a table in the office, I set to work sewing up the last of the leather so that I could finally attach it to the body.

I then glued in a bunch of brackets to the frame so that I can screw it into the back of the wood panel- I don't want any screws showing on the front- keeps the look clean.

Then I glued the leather and felt to the body using Barge All Purpose ["rubber"] Cement. Apply it to both surfaces and let dry for a couple minutes before sticking the two together.

If you remember back in olden times when I began this journey, I had cut out a channel for the aluminum backplate to sit within. This is a very shallow recess but it has just enough definition to make assembly and final finish work out cleanly and professionally. The leather and felt will dip only slightly down into this cavity, but the aligning properties will be retained.

Cutting out the opening in the back of the leather will be as easy as running an Exacto blade around the rim- an easy job.

So now we are beginning to see what this will look like in the end… not too bad, so far.
Stay tuned.

moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt