A friend of ours did a pretty impressive thing recently: she refused the annual increase in her rent, citing several issues with the unit, alongside noting the state of economy. The owner caved in and she ended up saving a modest, but notable amount...something envious here in Los Angeles where rent is usually the largest cost of living. As one man has put it, sometimes "the rent is too damn high"...
Here's some tips and resources on how to reduce your rent, a very popular topic lately:
- Negotiating lower rent from American Public Media with attorney Janet Portman.
- Forbes 10 Tips On Negotiating Your Rent
- Negotiating with your landlord for a lower rent
- Tips for Lowering Your Monthly Rent on Move-In
- How to Communicate With Landlord About Rent Negotiation
Any personal stories or tips about how you negotiated a lower rent before or after you moved in?