We all have those big, bulky (and quite frankly, a bit ugly) camera bags that help us out when we're leaving for a day of serious shooting. But sometimes we don't need all of that room and the nice big bag that fits all of our things becomes more of a nuisance than anything else. We've provided a short list of great camera bags that you can throw over your shoulder (or back) that are a bit less conspicuous, a bit more stylish, and a lot easier to carry.
- Makr Canvas Backpack ($160) This bag comes from a small company based in Flordia. Their designs are simple and elegant and are made with excellent craftsmanship. The bag is large enough to carry a camera, a lens, and whatever else you'll need for the day as well. We imagine this would be perfect for a picnic!
- Muji Canvas Shoulder Bag ($29.95) A small, unassuming bag that you can throw over your shoulder and you're out the door. Made in classic Muji style and comes in a slightly larger size as well.
- Billingham Hadley Bag Small ($199.95) These bag means business. Billingham have made quite a name for themselves in the market by creating top-notch bags with the highest quality materials. The price is high but you get a solid bag that will last as long as you need it to.
- Infusion Camera Bag ($69) We love these bags which really are the antithesis of your standard black and boring camera bag. Infusion's bags are simple, natural, colorful, and handmade. The Etsy seller doesn't have many in stock but we hope she could make more if the demand was there.
- Crumpler "1 Million Dollar Home" Bag ($37) Many know Crumpler for their messenger bags but they actually make an entire camera bag line as well. This tiny shoulder bag is perfect for throwing over your shoulder when you have to hop on your bike — waterproof and everything. If you need more space they have many more in the series that grow incrementally in size (and price).
(Image of the Billingham Hadley bag used with permission from Leo Lasik.)