If you're having trouble keeping your New Year's resolution to make the bed, you could beat yourself up about it... or you could reframe the problem. As long as the bedroom's not overly messy, rumpled sheets can have the same devil-may-care allure as Johnny Depp's bed-head look.
Sure, marble floors and exposed stone or brick walls can help the look along, but even in an ordinary bedroom that's cleared of clutter, a stack of books on the floor or a comforter askew on the bed can make a room feel well lived in. For those of you who'd appreciate a break from the hospital-corner-aesthetic, here are ten elegantly unkempt and inspiring rooms.
• Chateau de Massillan in Provence
• Mike's Masculine Vintage
• Natalie, Nicholas, and Arthur's Circus
• Bedding from Les Indiennes
• Ally's Contemporary with a Touch of Paris Glam
• Katy's Shadow Grey Bedroom
• Bedding from Matteo
• AB Chao's Modern Plus Old Equals MOLD
• Anthropologie 2009 Catalog
• Jay Shafer's Tumbleweed House