Eliza’s Eclectic Glam Nursery
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Follow Topics for more like this
Follow for more stories like this
I was so excited when I found out I was having a little girl, but I have to admit the design junkie in me was equally as excited at the prospect of decorating her nursery. So we took to the task of cleaning out our 10’ x 10’ office-slash-junk room and making way for baby girl.
My immediate thought was that I didn’t want a room that screams “kids room!” Something more whimsical than precious. And let’s be honest, the room is as much for me as it is for her, so I kind of wanted it to be my dream room, full of mid-century style furniture, funky accessories and abstract art. As a graphic designer and sometimes artist, I am immediately drawn to rooms with lots of contrast and color, so I wanted it to be modern, colorful and eclectic with a touch of glam. That was my vision.
I wanted to use gender-neutral wall colors that could also transition to a possible future baby boy’s room, so I originally painted the entire room gray. Right off the bat, the all-gray look was leaving me uninspired, so that’s when I decided to add the navy accent wall. It ended up being one of my favorite things about the room. It adds that graphic touch of drama that was missing before and it really makes the rest of the room pop. The remaining color scheme kind of fell into place, depending on what pieces I could find or create. The crib, rocking chair and black and white rug were the starting point, and then it was just a matter of accessorizing with color. The accents of pink, orchid, turquoise and gold really brought life to all of the neutrals.
The hardest part was finding the perfect accessories to go in the room without spending a fortune, which required lots of web-scouring, DIY projects and multiple trips to thrift stores/Marshall’s/Homegoods/TJ Maxx/Michael’s/ Hobby Lobby. I couldn’t be more pleased with the end result, and I’m not going to lie, I was kind of sad when it was all done! Now the only thing that I have to do is prop my feet up and patiently wait for her arrival!
Side note: Our cat Oscar seems to be under the impression that this is his room and seemed very appreciative of all of the hard work we put into it. Boy is he in for a surprise!
- Gray wall color: Olympic Silver Spoon
- Navy accent wall: Olympic Calvary
- Rug: Black and White Stripe Dhurrie, World Market
- Crib: BabyLetto Hudson Convertible Crib in white, courtesy of my mother
- Mobile: Flensted Scandinavian Swan Mobile
- Rocking Chair: Gorgeous hand-me-down from a friend of my mother’s
- Footstool: EclecticSettings shop on Etsy. Originally green, spray-painted pink!
- Pillows: Homegoods
- Faux Sheepskin Throw: TJ Maxx
- Side table: Target
- Tripod Lamp: Lowe’s
- Light Fixture: Savoy House Hagen Semi Flush from Wayfair.
- Artwork: Abstract painting by yours truly.
- Deer head: Homegoods
- Curtains: Threshold Paisley Window Panels from Target
- Shelf: Montego 5-tier bookcase from Overstock
- Books: I just wanted to take a moment to declare my obsession with Thriftbooks.com. You can buy tons of used books for next to nothing. And free shipping on all orders. So helpful on building my baby library without breaking the bank.
- Mirror: I already had this mirror, just repainted it with Behr
- Dresser: Buffet from Lost and Found Antiques, (this guy finds the best mid-century pieces) refinished and painted white
- Lamp: Homegoods
- Closet Changing Table: Old Pier 1 dresser I have had for years. As soon as I found out I was pregnant I knew I wanted to put this dresser in the nursery closet to create as much storage as possible (seeing as the room is on the small side). I had originally planned on using the painted buffet as the changing table, but when I realized that the changing pad was the exact same size as the top of the dresser, it seemed like a given that the changing table should go in the closet. I love having it hidden and out of the way, yet it’s still a pleasant surprise when you open the closet door and see it in there. It’s like this cozy little nook!
- Changing pad cover: Sleep Tight Aqua Dot from Land of Nod
- Closet door organizer: 3 Sprouts Flamingo Organizer
• MY ROOM ARCHIVE
• SUBMIT A BABY OR KID’S SPACE