The new year has set me — like almost everyone else — on a quest to better myself in a variety of ways, one of which is to put my idle hands to work when I inevitably collapse in front of the TV at night. I'm tackling embroidery, but for a little help I'm eyeing these kits and patterns that are a big step up from the typical craft store offerings.
A paper pattern that may be a bit difficult for beginners can range in price from under $10 to $30, while patterns printed on fabric and full kits that come with needles and thread can cost $25 to $100 or more.
1. Enchanted Forest (complete kit) by English Eccentrics from Erhman Tapestry, $92
2. Blue Singing Bear (complete kit) from takofibers, $27
3. Fractal #233 (pattern only) from Nordic Needle, $14.99
4. Elephant Teapot (complete kit) from African Folklore Embroidery, $28
5. Mexican Dogs (complete kit) by Janet Haigh at Erhman Tapestry, $56
6. Rainforest Birds by Charley Harper (printed canvas only) from purl bee, $90
7. Daniel Johnston Pattern from Sublime Stitching, $5 for pattern and $30 for full kit
8. Vintage Needlepoint Kit (complete kit) from Felicity Hall, $98
9. St. Georges (pattern only) by Long Dog Samplers from Nordic Needle, $8.25