Name: Aaron and Emily Choi
Type of Project: Full remodel, including the kitchen and two bathrooms
Location: La Jolla, California
Type of building: Condo; 1300 square feet
The Renovation Diaries are a collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.
The tile guy is here! While the kitchen is still coming together, he's started doing his thing for the bathrooms and the fireplace. In the master bathroom, we're taking out the existing bathtub and are replacing it with a tiled shower instead. First they 'hot mop' the shower floor as a sealer, and then they set the tile.
A while ago, I saw a bathroom design by Emily Henderson (pictured above) and fell in love with the floor tiles. It took some digging and calling around, but I was finally able to track down these beautiful cast concrete fan shape tiles by ARTO. They were a bit of a splurge, so the plan was to just put them in the powder room and the master bath to keep the cost down. Then there was a twist of fate (mainly, our guys messed up a little) and we ended up having them in all our bathrooms, which is fine by me!
The ornate floor tiles meant a much more muted and classic tile for the shower walls — white subway tiles! I've always loved white subway tiles, probably because I grew up in California and daydreamed about actual subways, so I decided to also use them in the kitchen as backsplash as well.
Since the cabinets are white and the subway tiles are white, it really needed a different color grout to break things up. Now, what I didn't know is that there are thousands of grout colors, not really, maybe like 20 and more than 5 are a shade of grey. It took me about an hour to finally decide on the platinum grey for the grout - it's the littlest decisions that take the longest!
As for the fireplace, we went with a marble stone 3x6 tile to go with the white fireplace frame that will be made later. We had asked our guys for a herringbone pattern on the hearth and after several attempts and a couple of different patterns later, I think we got it.
Estimated time for project: 8 weeks
Time remaining: 3 weeks
Check out the full series (so far) and be sure to join us tomorrow for installment #9 of Emily and Aaron's condo renovation.
(Images and diary text: Emily and Aaron Choi)