Crafters are thrifty by nature. There's a general can-do, can-fix, can-repurpose attitude shared by crafters. We can and will use every single solitary last scrap of material if it is at all reasonable to do so.
And every crafter is familiar with the moment after finishing a project; being confronted with the terrible task of deciding if your leftover scraps are reasonable to save or (the horror!) too small and destined for the trash. I generally try to only save pieces that are larger than my hand, all part of my plan to not be buried under a colorful cotton scrap mountain, but occasionally a project using truly tiny scraps will present itself.
Combine fabric scrap hoarding with the adorable, irresistible fat quarter fabric cuts for sale at my local quilting shop, and my sizable fabric collection is begging to be thinned out with a few projects! Here are ten projects to help use up those extra little bits of fabric.
1. The Purl Bee shares these easy zippered pouches — a great basic sewing project that's perfect for storing little necessities!.
2. You Are My Fave decoupages bits of floral fabric onto a dotted bunting.
3. Simple trays are transformed with a little fabric and decoupage medium. From Martha Stewart.
4. Sugar and Cloth created these adorable his and hers passport covers with minimal fabric and a little paint.
5. These beautiful fabric flowers from 100 Layer Cake were used as wedding decorations, but would be a lovely addition to a feminine bedroom, or with the addition of a clip they can become a soft hair accessory!
6. Design Sponge tied together a variety of frames with matching fabric mats. A picture framed by a cheery fabric mat sounds like a perfect Mother's Day gift to me!
7. This adorable fabric turtle is sure to be a hit with the little ones, and because he's made of a variety of fabrics he'll really help to clear out your scrap stash. From Purl Bee.
8. Martha Stewart shares this tutorial for creating a personalized fabric iphone case. What an awesome way to showcase a fancy Liberty of London fabric scrap!
9. A handmade eyeglass case puts a little strip of fabric to good use. From Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky!
10. Sewbon shares a tutorial for these simple double-sided coasters. These would make a great gift!
Do you keep fabric scraps for use in future projects? Do you revisit your scraps when making petite projects?