As we mentioned yesterday, there's a lot of advice on how to decorate your home out there, and we think you should find what works for you. But if you haven't quite found what works for you yet, we submit some great advice from real folks in real stylish homes, all from this week's most popular house tours.
Let your home be a reflection of you
"Your home should be a reflection of who you are, where you come from, and where you want to go. Most importantly, it should be a place to put your feet up and dream, so make sure you buy a comfortable couch, preferably wide enough for two!"
Curate with care
"Curate wisely. Don’t fill the space with ubiquitous items just because they are cheap. Good pieces are worth waiting and budgeting for. Second hand items definitely have more character, and usually last longer, than “budget design”—you just have to be patient and persistent."
Don't be a slave to trends
"Be guided by trends, but don’t be a slave. Keep up-to-date by adding accents that complement what you have and what you love. I think it’s really important to fill your home with things that are “you”. If you are like me and work from home, that's a lot of time to spend looking at something that you feel a bit ho-hum about."
Respect your instincts
"Respect your instincts. Most people seriously doubted our color choices at first, but I knew they would represent our style well, so I stuck to my guns, and it worked out."
"Find pieces you love to put in your house that you think will be timeless and you will hold onto for a long time. Something with a story and character to it will win every time over a cheap mass-produced piece made in China."
Find more great advice to steal for your home in all of our excellent tours:
- Take Your Time: Advice for Creating a Comfy Space That Feels Like Home
- Keep It Simple, Be Patient: Advice For Creating a Warm & Livable Home
- Don't Rush & Don't Settle: Advice on Finding What You Love
- Explore Possibilities! Advice on Taking Risks With Your Home's Design
- Don't Worry About Others: Advice on Creating a Home That Works For You
- Advice for Creating a Home That Reflects Your Personality
- Start With Good Lighting and More Advice On Filling a Home