You probably haven't seen one in years, but you know somebody somewhere is still buying and using floppy disks. Well that one guy is going to have to make the very overdue switch to digital USB drives (or at least CDRs!) because Sony is finally putting the 30-year-old 3.5-inch floppy disk to rest next year. To give the floppy a proper memorial, we suggest you pay homage to the iconic storage medium by infusing your home with as much floppy-inspired decor as possible.
After the Apple G3 hit the market without a floppy disk drive, the soon-deceased medium began its slow decent into death. The floppy disk, born way back in 1981, will see its last store shelf in March of 2011.
But there's no need to cry! If you need a little more floppy disk in your life, check out these cool products, tips and hacks. And remember, the death of the floppy disk is going to give it a whole lot more hipster cred (think Polaroid)!
- Floppy Disk Ceramic Tiles
- Floppy Disk Coasters
- 3.5" Floppy Disk Into Record Player Greeting Card Project
- Final Frame: Disk-it Sticky Notes
- Floppy Disk Turned USB Drive
- ICFF 2009: Floppy Disk CDRs
- Go Green! Turn Floppies Into Pen Holders
- Final Frame: Nick Gentry's Floppy Disk Art
- Password Safe: Hidden Inside a Floppy Disk
- Store Your CD's... In a Floppy Disk
- Look!: Floppy Disk Bill Caddy