Fighting the overwhelming message of this month to eat light and pinch pennies, we're taking the opposite tack. We're trying to wean ourselves off the "feast or famine" attitude and incorporate small indulgences into our every day life as a way to find a balance every day. The bedroom and bathroom are perfect places to start. Here are some small and gradual changes we've been making. Check out our list and add your own ideas.
- Even if your home's a rental that's not wired for sound, a portable speaker means you can listen to music anywhere.
- This month's a great time to pick up a set of high thread count sheets on sale. We like white partially because it's surprisingly easy to care for and white pretty much goes with white so we can start small (two pillowcases) and not feel like we need to be pressured to buy a whole set at once, which might be too much for our budget to handle right now.
- Instead of bar soap, we swapped out a liquid soap for the bathroom sink and a body wash for the shower. There's a whole slew of fragrances to choose from, they're a lot neater (meaning less time cleaning up soap scum) and many of them work as bubble bath.
- How about a new bathrobe? Whether it's a plush terry one or something made of cashmere, you can find something indulgent at all price points. Use your coupons at Bed Bath & Beyond or check Overstock and Amazon.
- If you're the kind of person who showers at night, consider doing it by candlelight. It makes something routine and ho hum into something relaxing.
- Find time in your schedule to sleep in and have breakfast in bed. It doesn't have to be fancy. Sometimes just getting back into bed to finish your coffee can feel indulgent.
- Splurge on a new towel or two. We love the size called bath sheets because they're huge! We've always wanted to have one of those towel warmers but until that happens, a few minutes on the radiator makes them nice and toasty and wonderful to wrap up in after a shower or bath.
- When the weather's cold or rainy, we love getting into bed early with a good book.
- Clean off your nightstands of the wadded up tissues and loose change. An alarm clock, a candle, a book and a glass of water are pretty much all you need. Putting the water in a nice glass or finding a carafe that we fill with water and sliced lemons or fresh mint is a little thing that makes us feel very luxurious.
What are some easy changes you can make that will make you feel indulged every day?
[image from Urbanelife's Flickr, with a Creative Commons License]