Five Stylish Pet-Friendly Escapes
Weekend getaways are harder to pull off when you’ve got a dog. There’s the added expense of a pet sitter or boarding facility, and then of course there’s the matter of just how hard it is to leave his sweet, pathetic puppy face behind. Traveling with a dog can be fun, however, especially if there’s hiking or beach-going in your plans, and bringing your furry friend along doesn’t necessarily mean you’re stuck with the Super 8. These days plenty of stylish inns and resorts have pet-friendly rooms. Here are a few of our favorites…
• 1 The Boonville Hotel in the Anderson Valley is a simple, modest inn with a roadhouse-style aesthetic and a delicious restaurant. Boonville is about a 2-hour drive north of the city. Rooms range from $125-$275 per night.
• 2 The Inn at Schoolhouse Creek in Mendocino is about as pet-friendly as it gets. The property consists of quaint little stand-alone cottages and meadows where your dog can romp; they even distribute frisbees and treats at check-in. There’s also a small rocky beach across the street where dogs can splash in the waves. Rooms from $175-$399.
• 3 Dawn Ranch Lodge in Guerneville, nestled in the redwoods by the Russian River, is over 100 years old, and still has that picturesque roadhouse feel. With a pool and easy river access, there’s swimming for both you and your pooch. Rooms are available for as low as $69 (mid-week special), but pet-friendly cabins run closer to $175.
• 4 On the swanky side, Nick’s Cove (blogged last week by Lily) is a renovated fishing lodge in an amazingly peaceful setting. Despite the fact that the cottages are just off the highway, the lapping waters of Tomales Bay make this an incredibly relaxing spot. There are plenty of pet-friendly hikes in the area. This place is a crazy splurge: Rooms from around $355 to $795 (depending on when you go).
• 5 The new Cavallo Point, just across the bay in the Marin Headlands, is so close to home you might wonder what’s the point… until you settle in and start to enjoy the amenities, like the gorgeous spa (complete with basking pool)and Golden Gate Bridge views. Fantastic dog-walking abounds in the area (nearby Rodeo Beach is a fantastic place for off-leash running). If you’re looking for luxury, this is a great choice. Rooms from $295 all the way up to $650 (for suites).
We’re always looking to find new dog-friendly destinations by word of mouth… any suggestions? Where do you like to vacation with your furry friends?