On some days we realize the only thing our daughter has eaten is different variations on bread and cheese: mac and cheese, grilled cheese, an omelet with cheese, pizza, bagel with cream cheese- you get the idea. So we've been looking for a few ways to make sure she eats enough veggies...
We're not really into "sneaking" or hiding the veggies because we don't want to reinforce the notion that they taste bad. The mission is to serve them up in interesting and delicious ways, preferably ones that our daughter can't dissect- you know, take out the veggie and just eat the cheese. So here are a few ideas that we've come up with:
• Kale Chips This satisfied our taste tester with flying colors. (not to mention my husband and me as well!)
• Green Smoothies for Kids. We haven't given these to our daughter...yet. But we love them ourselves. We always add a dash of orange juice to ours to sweeten it up.
• Five Food Hacks from Mommy Poppins: We're definitely going to try the Basil Spinach Pesto recipe she mentions!
• Zucchini Muffins: Muffins tend to be a big hit in our house, so we'll be scouring around for other muffin recipes that might even include...dare we say, broccoli?
• Risotto with finely chopped broccoli. Risotto is so rich and creamy, when we chop up the broccoli in our electric mini chopper- it's barely noticeable but she eats a good amount.
Please- share your creative ideas!
(Image: Chow Mama)