How do you take up as little visual and floor space as possible while getting the most function per square foot? Floating furniture! Although it maintains the illusion of lightness, furniture with sturdy frames and stud-mounting can be just as heavy-duty as you need it to be.
- In Pierluigi Molteni's Plug-In House, the bed appears to be floating, but it's really a trick of the eye. A wall-mounted metal frame and under-bed support keep it suspended in mid-air.
- The living room of the Plug-In House features floating shelves and speakers that hang like teardrops from the wall.
- The LAX Series Wall-Mounted Desk (from At Work Design) is as streamlined as it gets. A thin slot forms a drawer with a sliding metal cover.
- IKEA kitchen cabinets are repurposed as a "floating credenza" in this DIYable project.
- Emily and Craig use an Umbra Conceal Shelf above the bedside table to keep books on hand without eating up surface space.
Photos: Sarah Coffey (1-4), Evan Thomas (5)