Free Laptop Security Option Using an Old Flash Drive
We’ve got a small cache of USB flash drives from trade shows, vendors and from sources we can’t quite remember. The ubiquitous tech tool comes in handy in so many ways, whether it’s adding Boxee to our Apple TV or sending shareware diagnostic apps to friends. Now you can add laptop security to the mix…
- First download and install a freeware security application called, LaptopAlarm.
- Fasten a neck strap to your old USB flash drive.
- Fasten the other end of the strap securely to a table.
- Plug in the USB flash drive into a USB port of a laptop.
- Lock the laptop by pressing the Windows logo key and L key together.
When a thief removes the laptop from the table, they’ll likely try to remove the USB flash drivefrom the laptop. This will cause a loud siren sound to notify you that someone is messing with your laptop with nefarious intentions. LaptopAlarm also sends an alert to your mobile phone while also offering the option for the software to erase sensitive material if the thief does succeed in leaving with your Windows machine (sorry Mac users, no OS X version).