From the Fall Garden: Many Uses for Butternut Squash
As we continue to learn to eat with the seasons, we’re discovering more and more uses for various vegetables. Squash have proved to be especially versatile…
Butternut squash can be used in myriad ways:
• Add to vegetable stew (think of it as a sweet, buttery potato)
• Peel and slice into wedges, and bake like steak fries
• Roast and then puree; use the puree in baked goods (muffins, breads, even cookies!)
• Have a recipe that calls for pumpkin? Simply substitute butternut squash.
• Peel, cube, roast, and add to whole-wheat pasta
• Leave it uneaten and use it is as edible decor
Butternut squash, with their thick skins, last for months–so they’re worth stocking up on at the farmers’ market!